Horizons at The Episcopal Academy seeks a qualified, talented, dynamic and enthusiastic STEM Teacher for the 2022 six-week summer program. The STEM Educator contributes to the overall vision and planning of the educational programming at Horizons at The Episcopal Academy by drawing on their experience in developing and implementing hands-on and creative activities for students K to 8th grade. This may include the design and construction of STEM equipment for student projects, activities, and demonstrations. This position is well suited for candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to experiential education.
- A Bachelor's degree in education or science-related field and a teaching certification is preferred
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Develop and deliver hands-on activities and projects alongside classroom teachers using STEM concepts
- Knowledgeable about best practices in elementary and middle school
- Collaborate with staff members and volunteers to deliver new programs as well as maintain or modify existing ones all while working within a prescribed budget
- Complete all state and federal clearances and be CPR/AED certified
A Little More About Us
Horizons at the Episcopal Academy provides a six-week, full day educational enrichment summer session designed to encourage students from diverse, limited income and resource populations to realize their full potential.
We are committed to the development of the whole child through experiences that build problem solving skills, foster awareness of community responsibility, instill respect for others, and encourage a life-long interest in learning. Our goal is to reduce the "summer slide" and our students generally gain 2-3 months in math and reading skills over the summer.
Students from Episcopal Academy's partner schools (Overbrook Educational Center in West Philadelphia and Ardmore Avenue Elementary in Lansdowne) are selected through an application process for this tuition-free summer experience and return yearly until graduating into our High School program. Horizons blends high-quality academics with arts, athletics, enrichment, and confidence-building activities, including a special focus on the important life skill of swimming. During the summer of 2022, Horizons at Episcopal Academy will have 9 classes of 15 students who have completed grades K through 8th. A lead and assistant teacher are placed in each classroom in addition to Episcopal Upper School student volunteers. Teachers are able to design a project-based curriculum and integrate learning strategies that address the individual needs of the students.
The dates for the 2022 Horizons program are June 20th through July 29th 2021 with July 4th as a program holiday. The program meets daily, Monday through Friday, from 7:45 am until 3:30 pm. Our STEM Teacher is expected to honor the full time, six-week commitment and teacher orientation dates.
Our salary for teachers is very competitive. Teachers are paid every two weeks over the course of the six-week program according to the pay dates of the Episcopal Academy summer schedule.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following materials as PDF documents in an email with the subject line "Horizons STEM Teacher" to firstname.lastname@example.org. Title attachments with your last name, first initial, and document name.
- Current resume
- List of three references, including name, relationship to applicant, phone number, and email address of each (References will be contacted only with the candidate's permission).