Horizons at The Episcopal Academy seeks a qualified, talented, dynamic and enthusiastic Drama Teacher for the 2022 six-week summer program. The ideal applicant will have the ability to bring drama to life with passion, and to expose students to elements of theater in an engaging and inclusive manner. We believe that theater and drama is one of the most powerful ways children can learn about life, and the Horizons drama program develops students' skills in writing, acting, designing, collaborating, and critical thinking.
- Possesses a bachelor's or master's degree in theater education or a related field, and makes pedagogical and curricular decisions based on a thoughtful understanding of best educational practices.
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Delivers excellent instruction and designs positive learning experiences
- Collaborates with Horizons teachers in all disciplines on ways to integrate drama and theater principles to strengthen learning and instruction across the program
- Creates a welcoming learning environment and bases teaching and learning on a foundation of inclusivity.
- Is equally proficient in process drama (using theatre as a tool for the development of empathy and social awareness in children) and traditional theatrical performance
- Complete all state and federal clearances and be CPR/AED certified
A Little More About Us
Horizons at the Episcopal Academy provides a six-week, full day educational enrichment summer session designed to encourage students from diverse, limited income and resource populations to realize their full potential.
We are committed to the development of the whole child through experiences that build problem solving skills, foster awareness of community responsibility, instill respect for others, and encourage a life-long interest in learning. Our goal is to reduce the "summer slide" and our students generally gain 2-3 months in math and reading skills over the summer.
Students from Episcopal Academy's partner schools (Overbrook Educational Center in West Philadelphia and Ardmore Avenue Elementary in Lansdowne) are selected through an application process for this tuition-free summer experience and return yearly until graduating into our High School program. Horizons blends high-quality academics with arts, athletics, enrichment, and confidence-building activities, including a special focus on the important life skill of swimming. During the summer of 2022, Horizons at Episcopal Academy will have 9 classes of 15 students who have completed grades K through 8th. A lead and assistant teacher are placed in each classroom in addition to Episcopal Upper School student volunteers. Teachers are able to design a project-based curriculum and integrate learning strategies that address the individual needs of the students.
The dates for the 2022 Horizons program are June 20 through July 29, 2021 with July 4th as a program holiday. The program meets daily, Monday through Friday, from 7:45 am until 3:30 pm. Our STEM Teacher is expected to honor the full time, six week commitment and teacher orientation dates.
Our salary for teachers is very competitive. Teachers are paid every two weeks over the course of the six-week program according to the pay dates of the Episcopal Academy summer schedule.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following materials as PDF documents in an email with the subject line "Horizons Drama Teacher" to email@example.com. Title attachments with your last name, first initial, and document name.
- Current resume
- List of three references, including name, relationship to applicant, phone number, and email address of each (References will be contacted only with the candidate's permission).