The History Department Chair is a key member of the school's academic leadership. Reporting to the Academic Dean, department chairs oversee teaching and learning in departments spanning grades 6 to 12, both the Middle and Upper Schools. Chairs lead decision-making related to curriculum and instruction; ensure excellence in professional practices; and foster a culture of growth, reflection, and continual improvement in their departments.
Course reduction and salary for the role are commensurate with responsibility and experience.
EA is transitioning from separate division-based department chairs in the middle and upper schools to grade 6-12 chairs. In this transition, we will consider both internal and external candidates.
At The Episcopal Academy, we are united by our shared mission, rich history, and dedication to excellence. An EA employee:
- Is kid-centered, embraces school and life and shows it through actions and interactions with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Embodies and lives The Stripes.
- Consistently maintains high standards for his or her own work and motivates others to achieve the same standard of excellence.
- Demonstrates a desire and willingness to constantly grow and learn, both personally and professionally, and sees others – especially students – as having the ability to learn and reach success.
- Fosters a positive culture by being optimistic, selfless, flexible, and collaborative.
- Demonstrates a belief in and commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse school community.
Successful candidates for this position will have demonstrated leadership capacity and/or experience in the following areas:
- Curriculum design
- Instructional methods
- Assessment of student learning
- Supervision of instruction, planning, assessment, and professional standards
- Teacher evaluation and growth
- Professional development
- Program administration and operations
Candidates with advanced degrees, diverse experiences in middle and upper school education, and a track record of excellence in the classroom will be viewed favorably.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials as separate PDF in one email with the subject line "History Department Chair" to firstname.lastname@example.org. Title attachments with your last name, first initial and document name.
- Cover letter expressing interest in this position;
- Current résumé;
- List of three references, including name, relationship to applicant, phone number, and email address of each
Start date: August 2019
The Episcopal Academy seeks candidates who hope to help foster a school environment where all people are valued and where all perspectives are respected and appreciated, as described in our Diversity and Inclusion statement.