The Classics Department at The Episcopal Academy seeks a Latin teacher who is passionate about Classics and eager to share their enthusiasm with our students. While the position includes teaching at both the Middle School and Upper School level, our new colleague will immerse themself especially in the learning and lives of the Middle School students. This educator is collaborative and transformative in cultivating a curriculum and environment that reflects, includes, and celebrates all students of all backgrounds.
Classics as a discipline has historically overlooked the experiences of people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and other marginalized communities. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities.
Who You Are
Your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion constantly motivates you to challenge traditional pedagogy and interpretations of Classics in the modern world. A risk-taker and a problem solver, you see each lesson as an opportunity to create a richly diverse and inclusive narrative about the value of Latin and Classics to the students. Embodying a growth mindset, you possess:
- Deep commitment to building and sustaining inclusive learning spaces;
- A student-centered approach to teaching and learning, with an emphasis on delivering engaging lessons designed to meet the needs of a diverse student population, especially in the middle school;
- Enthusiasm for collaboratively developing a curriculum that is grounded in the reading method and is not necessarily connected to a single textbook series;
- Passion for teaching methods that foster student agency, project-based learning, and various forms of authentic assessment; and,
- Interest in educating the whole child by participating in extracurricular activities.
A Little More About Us
While each employee at Episcopal brings a unique set of competencies and skills to their work, we believe all employees should:
- Be student-centered, embrace school and life and show it through actions and interactions with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Embody and live The Stripes.
- Consistently maintain high standards for his or her own work and motivates others to achieve the same standard of excellence.
- Demonstrate a desire and willingness to constantly grow and learn, both personally and professionally, and sees others – especially students – as having the ability to learn and reach success.
- Foster a positive culture by being optimistic, selfless, flexible, and collaborative.
- Demonstrate a belief in and commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse school community.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, current resume, and list of three references as pdf documents to email@example.com. Please include "Classics Faculty" in the subject line.
Position Term Begins: 2022-2023 School Year
The Episcopal Academy seeks candidates who hope to help foster a school environment where all people are valued and where all perspectives are respected and appreciated, as described in our Diversity and Inclusion statement.
We will start reviewing resumes on Nov. 15.