- Old Middle School
The Rev. Philip Justice Steinmetz, Jr. became Headmaster in 1915. Dr. Steinmetz was a hard worker and strong disciplinarian, though enthusiastic and good willed. The Treasurer reported the Academy’s debt at $13,000 and was authorized to take out another mortgage for $23,000. However, the school still amassed debt. The Trustees began discussing a move to a new campus, possibly the John Gilmore property in Merion for $225,000, and selling the current building for around $485,000. The trustees voted to sell the Locust St. building and buy the Gilmore property on May 21st, 1920. Dr. Steinmetz’s resignation was accepted and Robert Anderson, a member of the faculty, was put in charge of the school until a new Headmaster was appointed.
Anderson improved the daily schedule and maintained discipline. Mr. Buckley, Secretary of the Board of Trustees, took care of all the other detail that kept the school in order. Greville Haslam was appointed Headmaster during the summer of 1921. A new era was beginning for The Episcopal Academy, with a new campus, a new headmaster and new opportunities.